Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Getting Started

Justin and Doug:

Ok, so over two months ago my roommate and I decided that it might be a good idea to run a marathon. Why? Looking back on it, I'm not really sure - and that is an unnerving thought. Because a marathon, as it turns out, is a lot of work! One night, maybe after a drink maybe not - I don't recall - Doug (my roommate) turned to me and said, "Hey, you want to run a marathon?" And I was like, "hell to the yeah, let's do this thang!" So after trying - and failing - to register for the Marine Corps Marathon we settled for the less-well-known Baltimore Marathon. And thus our journey began.


At the time my roommate would not have self-identified as a "runner," I don't think, and I would have self-identified as a "casual runner" (3-7 miles, 2-3 times a week tops). We have come a long way since then! Doug is currently running around 30 miles per week and I am up to 35 or so; my long run is currently at around 15 miles and Doug's is around 13. We are awesome!

But we still have a long way to go....and that is what Running Northwest is all about. It is a venue for us to vent about our struggles, brag about our accomplishments, and solicit advice. We know that we are not the only DC residents that run the streets of Northwest, so hopefully we can come together to share our favorite routes and complain about all our aches.

No comments:

Post a Comment