Monday, July 27, 2009

The Lonely Half Marathon - 13 miles



Doug:

Several years ago my family decided that we should all run a half marathon together, so I signed up for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach. That was my first (and only up to this point) long distance race, and I was blown away by the number or supporters lining the entire route. Rock and Roll did a great job filling every mile marker with the bands and cheerleaders. The rhythms and lyrics could be heard a quarter mile away, so very little time on the course was left without sometime to pump you up.

Yesterday I ran that distance again, only this time without all the support. There were no signs telling me to keep going, no cowbells giving me a jolt of energy, and no Bon Jovi cover band as I turned the corner past the 10 mile mark. It was just me, the road, and the knowledge that I'm several miles from home without money or a phone, so I'm left with no choice but to keep running.

But I did it. Maybe a little slower than I had originally set out for, but I left the house towards Dupont and didn't return until I had another 13 miles on those shoes. The fan support and medal at the end sure would have been nice, but my eyes are set on a larger goal. Even if it is a little lonely along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment